Which exam shall I take

While you are studying in the UK, you may wish to take an English language examination. If you are not sure which examination is the best one for you, your accredited course provider will advise you. Here is an introduction to the main examinations:

  • Cambridge: The largest and best known of the examination boards, Cambridge offers a range of English language examinations at all levels. Details of all of them here.
  • IELTS: The International English Language Testing System's website is here.
  • PTE Academic: The Pearson Test of English is a recent newcomer to the market, hailed as an alternative to IELTS.
  • Trinity College London: TCL offers tests of spoken English at multiple levels.
  • City and Guilds:offer an International ESOL qualification.
  • TOEFL and TOEIC tests are offered by ETS Princeton.

Still confused? Try this exam level conversion and comparison site.