Edge Hill University Language Centre
Trinity Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CertTESOL)
Price Includes Please note: This course is an intensive 4 week and 1 day course with a total course fee of £1500 for non-Edge Hill University students and £1200 for Edge Hill University students. This is the course
Beginners Not for beginners
Class Size 8 maximum
Town / City & Region Ormskirk, , North of England
Tuition Style Group
Tuition Hours Per Week
Ages 18 - 100
Course Type Teachers
The Trinity Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CertTESOL) is an intensive four-week face-to-face training course for anyone who wants to be an English language teacher. It is designed for people with little or no experience of teaching English, and also for those who have teaching experience but want to obtain an internationally recognised qualification.
The CertTESOL is a widely recognised teaching qualification and it is rated as Level 5 on the Ofqual Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). The course is delivered by experienced English Language Teaching professionals and will prepare you for your first post as an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) or English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teacher.
The course has a minimum duration of 130 hours comprising:
- 6 hours of observed teaching practice for each trainee
- Input from trainers on language awareness and how to teach aspects of grammar
- Input from trainers on the 4 skills and how to teach them
- Guided sessions to help you prepare for teaching sessions
- Classroom observation of experienced practitioners
- Peer observations of fellow course participants
- Feedback and individual tutorials
There are five units of assessment on the course:
- Unit 1: Teaching Skills
- Unit 2: Language Awareness and Skills
- Unit 3: Learner Profile
- Unit 4: The Materials Assignment
- Unit 5: Unknown Language
Careers & Employability
The Trinity CertTESOL is accepted around the world and can help teachers gain employment in a variety of English language teaching contexts. The course is also an excellent way of further developing teaching knowledge for in-service teachers.
The course runs daily Monday to Friday and has a duration of four weeks and one day. This final day is the moderation day, when a Trinity Moderator comes in to assess some of your work and interview you. All trainees must attend the Moderation day.
As it is a very intensive course, it is recommended that you have no other work or study commitments for the duration of the course. 100% attendance is required, and additional study is expected both in the evenings and at weekends for successful completion of the course.
Please see our website for more details: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/efl/trinity-certtesol/?tab=timetable-dates
- Edge Hill University students: £1200
- Non-Edge Hill University students: £1500
This fee includes the moderation fee.
Please note: the above fees are for the course only and does not include accommodation.
Applicants to the Trinity CertTESOL course must:
- Be aged 18 years+ at the beginning of the course.
- Hold educational qualifications which would allow entry to a higher education course (equivalent to A Level in the UK).
- Have excellent competence in spoken and written English. Speakers of English as a second or additional language should have a minimum overall ability at CEFR C1 (or IELTS 7+ overall for example). All applicants’ language skills will be assessed through pre-course speaking, writing, and grammar tasks.