Norwich Institute for Language Education (NILE)
Online: Teaching Skills and Language
Price Range £40.00 per week
Beginners Not for beginners
Course Length 12 weeks
Town / City & Region , Eastern England
Tuition Style Combination of Group and One to One Tuition
Tuition Hours Per Week 0.0
Ages 18 - 65
Course Type Online
For the next Teaching Skills and Systems course, please contact us. This course is also available on demand for groups of 4 or more. Course fees negotiable.
On this course, you will consider the four language skills: speaking, writing, reading and listening and the language systems of grammar and vocabulary. You will think about different aspects of these skills and systems; what problems our learners might have with learning about or using them; and how we can help our learners with these problems and teach skills and systems more effectively.
You will also look at, and evaluate, different activities and resources for teaching language skills and systems. In the final project, you will be asked to design or adapt some teaching materials in order to put into practice what you have learnt on the course.
This course will cover the following areas:
• What the skills and systems in English are
• Reasons and strategies for listening and reading
• Evaluating classroom activities for receptive skills
• Different aspects of the speaking skill: accuracy, fluency, pronunciation & discourse management
• Writing activities: aim & effectiveness; product vs. process
• Criticisms of the PPP model and what we can do about them; alternative approaches
• Resources for vocabulary teaching: exploring and designing resources
• Practising, memorising and recycling vocabulary: why and how?
This course will extend the participant’s understanding and critical awareness of :
• The importance of recycling vocabulary and sharing ways of doing it
• Important terminology for working with receptive skills
• The value of extensive reading and how to encourage learners to do it
• The purpose and effectiveness of different speaking activities in the classroom, where they might come in a lesson and how to run them
• The purpose and effectiveness of different writing activities in the classroom
• What grammar is and what we need to think about when teaching it
• Different ways of conveying meaning and getting learners to practise and memorise vocabulary
• Strategies for learner training in vocabulary learning
At NILE we are committed to offering the best in language teacher training. As such, we provide tutorial contact in our online courses as well as in our campus courses. Online participants will receive allocated tutor interaction and feedback in each unit they take.
Online courses are broken down into individual units and activities, forming a clear structure. Tasks will be interactive, involving voice chat, forums and community walls, and they will utilize a range of multimedia including images, audio files and videos.
Who should apply
For those teachers without a recognised national/international teaching qualification and/or minimal experience.
How to apply
• If you already have a NILE account, sign in on the website
• If you do not already have a NILE account, register on the website and then sign in
• Complete the full online enrolment and payment process
• Once we have received notification of your payment, you will be provided with all necessary pre-course documentation
Your fees should be paid in full prior to starting your course.